As National Gardening Week enters full flow, here are Five Facts about the gardens at Harewood House:
- There are over 100 acres of gardens at Harewood, set within the landscape created by Capability Brown.
- 5,000 hours are spent cutting the grass in Harewood’s gardens and park between April and October.
- The Himalayan Garden is home to more than 50 kinds of rhododendron, which are at the best between May and July.
- The Walled Garden is the oldest garden at Harewood. It was already under construction in 1759 when building began on Harewood House
- More than 20,000 plants and bulbs are planted every year in the Parterre, on the lower level of the Terrace Garden.
There’s always something new to discover in the gardens at Harewood, as they change from one season to the next, and new growth gets underway. For further information about volunteering or getting involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org