+44 (0)113 218 1010
Turner was invited to Harewood in 1797 to paint some views of the House and Castle for his patron Edward, Viscount Lascelles. Edward’s father, the 1st Earl, asked Turner to paint a couple of views of Plumpton Rocks, specifically for the Saloon, now the Main Library. He had decided to remove two doors, and wanted something suitable to fill the space. The paintings are oil on canvas, set into the wall with decorative moulding.