+44 (0)113 218 1010
Date: Late 1700s
One of a pair of George III giltwood mirrors by Thomas Chippendale.
Made c1778 it is thought that these two looking-glasses were made for the Gallery. Each glass is flanked by caryatids holding flower-swags surmounted by three painted ovals and an urn, the base with rams’ masks and swags. The painted roundels are similar, if smaller in scale, to the ones found on the four pier glasses, known to have been made for this room. They also follow Robert Adam’s painted decoration found on the ceiling. Chippendale supplied a large number of looking-glasses, pier glasses and girandoles for the house. They have subsequently been removed, dismantled, stored, hung elsewhere in the house or sold, making it extremely difficult to ascertain where specific pieces were originally intended.