+44 (0)113 218 1010

[javascript protected email address]

Adam

 

‘Adam’ was carved by Epstein from a single block of alabaster, between 1938 and 1939.  When it was complete, Epstein’s own agents (Mssrs Brown and Phillipps of the Leicester Galleries) were reluctant to exhibit it. It was bought by a showman and toured round fairgrounds as a ‘freak object’ before being sold to Tussauds.  It was bought by the 7th Earl of Harewood from the owners of the wax-work display at Blackpool in February 1961. Adam was first displayed in the exhibition rooms in the stables, now the Courtyard.  In 1976 the sculpture was brought up to the Entrance Hall, the spot on which he stands was reinforced to take the weight