+44 (0)113 218 1010
These chairs were supplied by Chippendale for the Old Library, c1771, with cartouche-shaped backs and serpentine seats upholstered in nailed brown leather, the frames carved with husks and fluting, redecorated in two shades of blue. The chairs are described in an inventory of 1795 as ‘8 blue painted Cabriole Chairs covered in yellow Morocco leather’. The basic style of the chairs incorporates elements from Chippendale’s earlier Rococo style as well as decorative motifs associated with the later Neo-classical style. Details in the carving on the chairs all be seen echoed in Robert Adam’s design for the ceiling in the Old Library, thus contributing to the creation of a harmonious room scheme.