A message from Jane Marriott, Trust Director
Princess Mary, the Princess Royal married Viscount Lascelles in 1922, and the couple later moved to Harewood following the death of the 5th Earl where as Earl and Countess of Harewood they lived from 1930. As a royal household since, The Duke of Edinburgh and Her Majesty the Queen have visited on a number of special occasions, most recently during the Queen’s Golden Jubilee in 2002.
In 1956 the couple made a memorable trip to the Harewood Horse Trials; HRH Prince Philip is pictured here on that occasion speaking with Marion Stein, the 8th Earl of Harewood David Lascelles’ mother, himself a young boy in the background alongside Marguerite Ussher (you can view Pathé news footage of such horse trials at Harewood here). Other Members of the royal household have been welcomed since, and many will fondly remember The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke of Sussex visiting for Le Grand Départ to launch Le Tour de France in 2012 during that particularly wonderful summer.
On Saturday 17 April, we will join the country in marking the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh with a minute’s silence at 3pm.
We hope that everyone on site will join us in taking a moment to pause and reflect. As such, our staff will momentarily stop working just prior to 3pm – should you be at one of our food or retail outlets, or at the entrance barrier, please bear with us.
As we begin to enjoy sunnier weather and see signs of spring in Harewood’s gardens and grounds, we look forward to our country’s recovery from the impact of Covid-19. Please do join us and why not take a moment to explore our beautiful site, pause to think of loved ones and all those effected by the events of the last year, and of much brighter days to come.
Photo courtesy of Sport & General
A statement from The Earl of Harewood on the death of the Duke of Edinburgh >>